In my last blog I invited you to create your vision of what is perfect for you – what you want in life. I dared you to dream.
In this one, I am going to work on the assumption that you’re not there already – that you have some things you want to work on: some gaps you want to close.
A can then be your present situation (your current reality)
B can then be the perfect state you are heading to (your desired outcome)
C can then be the steps in between (your actions and projects)
We have A, B and C, now it’s as easy as 1 2 3…
If you are finding it difficult to flesh out your ABC:
- If you need help articulating your perfect vision, re-read the last blog and answer the questions there. For example, it might be that you want to retire in 2025.
- If you need help describing your current state, compare your situation with your statements in A – and roughly quantify how close you are to having your perfect state. In our retirement example you might have:
- I do not know how much income I would like/need in 2025
- I do not know how much money I need to sustain that income
- My current “retirement pot” is £200,000 in investments
- I do not know how to invest for my retirement
- If you need help identifying the actions and steps needed to make your perfect state come true, you could look at what waymarks might indicate progress (eg I need to be able to run 5K before I feel able to run a 10K), or what steps will get you started on the way, even if you don’t know how you will arrive. In our example, that could look like:
- I will calculate what retirement income I would like, based on what life I want
- I will research how to predict what retirement pot I could need to sustain that
- I will save £1000 a month whilst I am researching what I need
- I will educate myself about investing for retirement by:
- Reading the financial pages of my weekend paper for a change
- Meeting with an independent financial advisor, and understanding what they say
- Asking James for recommended reading as a good book on investing
So, write down your A, your B and finally your C – which should be a list of steps or actions.
Now do them….
It’s as easy as 1 2 3. Really. And you can hum the Jacksons song whilst you are doing it.
If you are still not sure how to come up with the steps you need to take, it may be that some 1-2-1 coaching will help you unpick things. It has certainly helped me over the years. Call me, and we will see if I can help.